IPL 2020: Vivo Has Been Officially Removed From IPL 13

IPL 2020: Vivo Has Been Officially Removed From IPL 13: BCCI Looking for New Sponsorship After Suspending The Chinese Firm for This Edition

There were reports earlier that VIVO The Chinese Sponsor has  pulled out of the IPL 2020 edition. Now it has been officially confirmed the VIVO will not be the title sponsor for the upcoming IPL 2020. VIVO bagged the title sponsorship rights for 5 years 2018-2022 approximately for 2190 crore. Now considering the recent development between Indo-China political relations they deal has been suspending. Earlier both BCCI and VIVO received huge backlash over social media after BCCI announced that they would retain all the sponsors.

IPL 2020
PC: BCCi

BCCI Confirmation

BCCI today kept it straight in single statement and confirmed the exit of Chinese sponsor VIVO from the IPL 2020.

“The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Vivo Mobile India Pvt Ltd have decided to suspend their partnership for Indian Premier League in 2020,” the release stated.

There was no surprise in this move it was both BCCI and VIVO were under lots of pressure, as the tension between the countries rose. As a result there is an Anti-China sentiment running high. No BCCI has new challenge in front of them to find new title sponsor in a short time period.With VIVO they had the contract of around 440 crore per annum which will be difficult to match considering the pandemic situation and  a very little time at hand. IPL 2020 set to start from September 19 in UAE.

Earlier BCCI faced backlash not only from the fans even the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) also opposed the organizing of the tournament as they were going with Chinese sponsors. On Monday August 3rd BCCI came under heavy criticism from CAIT. They even wrote to Home Minister & Minister of External Affairs for not allowing BCCI with IPL.

“We have sent a communication to Amit Shah and S. Jaishankar, demanding not to give approval to the BCCI for holding the IPL in Dubai,” the CAIT said.

Even the political leaders like Omar Abdullah criticized the move and tweeted “Chinese cellphone makers will continue as title sponsors of the IPL while people are told to boycott Chinese products. It’s no wonder China is thumbing it’s nose at us when we are so confused about how to handle Chinese money/investment/sponsorship/advertising.”

 

,

About Singh Shankar Mohan

Thinker, Blogger, Content Creator, blogs about sports, finance, e-commerce and fashion, loves poetry & short stories.
View all posts by Singh Shankar Mohan →